Happy St. Patrick’s Day! Here’s How Folly Is Getting into the Spirit
Well top o’ the morning to ya! It’s St. Patrick’s Day, and you know what that means – you’ll be seeing green everywhere on Folly, from the rooftop at Snapper Jack’s to the frothy surf. And, not surprisingly, there’s lots o’ stuff happening around the island to honor this Irish holiday.
Head over to St. James Gate this weekend to enjoy live Irish music sessions all day. At 2:30pm today and 1:30pm tomorrow, take in a jig when the Uibh Fhaili Academy of Irish Dance with Caitlin D’Mello comes to the restaurant. Also on the docket? Irish folklore storytelling.
Meanwhile, at Blu from 8pm to 11pm, the Patty McGee Irish Trio will take the stage to serenade the town with St. Patrick’s Day spirit.
Hoping to soak up a little Vitamin D this weekend, now that the weather is finally warming back up? Check out the 6th Annual Shamrock SUP Race hosted by Charleston SUP Safaris. Not only will it be a savage good time, but it will also benefit Youth 2 Ocean, Surfers Healing and LEAF Festival.
Really, you can count on just about every corner of Folly to have something festive going on to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day. So throw on your best green garb, head to Center Street and revel in the luck of the Irish this weekend!
Did You Know?
– The first Irish settlers arrived in Charleston in 1670.
– During the Civil War, Irish Volunteers were among the first to defend the South. To represent their loyalty the local battalion carried a flag featuring a palmetto tree and a crescent moon on a classic green background.
– It is speculated the real-life St. Patrick’s name was Maewyn Succat, but that his name was changed when he became a bishop.
– The color originally associated with St. Patrick was blue, not green! In fact, “St. Patrick’s Blue” is still used on Ireland’s flag.
– Every day, more than 10 million glasses of Guinness – for a total of 1.8 billion pints per year — are imbibed. On St. Patrick’s Day? That number is exponentially higher. Bottoms up! (But drink responsibly.)
Plan Your Next Visit
Search Folly Beach Vacation HomesBook Now